Health & Safety Protocol
African Insight Academy is committed to pursuing excellence in everything it does, which includes the management of health and safety.
Our Health and Safety Commitment:
1. Giving health and safety the highest priority in all of our activities.
2. Ensuring staff, students, visitors and contractors who work for African Insight Academy share this commitment by complying with our policies and procedures, and understanding that they too have legal and moral obligations to themselves and to one another in maintaining the level of health and safety.
3. Managing and maintaining a physical environment, which is, so far as reasonably practicable, safe and in which risks to psychological and physical health are controlled.
4. Adequate and appropriate procedures and protocols are in place that cover, as far as is practicable, all aspects of African Insight Academy’s services.
5. Ensuring that control measures and emergency procedures are in place; effective; properly used; monitored and maintained.
6. Managing and maintaining equipment and vehicles so that they are, so far as reasonably practicable, safe and that risks to health are controlled.
7. Consulting with and involving team members and clients in all matters relating to health and safety.
8. Identifying hazards and conducting annual formal risk assessments in order to minimise the risk for all activities undertaken by African Insight Academy and its subcontractors.
9. Providing information, instruction, training and supervision at all levels necessary to ensure that team members are competent to supervise or undertake their work activities and are aware of any related hazards and the measures to be taken to protect against them.
10. Providing the necessary organisation, expertise and resource, including communication and consultation, planning, monitoring, inspection and auditing procedures to ensure that there is effective management of health and safety throughout the area of operation.
11. Providing adequate information on relevant hazards to any person whose health and safety might be affected by them. During the trip planning phase, group organisers will receive a comprehensive portfolio of Risk Assessments, Policies and Operating Procedures.
12. Keeping up to date with best practice in relation to health and safety and complying with all relevant legislation and authoritative guidance.
13. Continually reviewing and developing our safety management systems, with the overarching aim of conducting our activities in a manner that does not affect the health and safety of any team members, clients, contractors or members of the public, or adversely affect the environment
14. Monitoring the safety performance of contractors who work for us.
15. To promote a positive health and safety culture in African Insight Academy and educate our team members and clients in health and safety. Wherever possible, information on health and safety standards applicable to a venture will be made available.
African Insight Academy holds a British Standards Institute BS8848 health and safety accreditation. Adventure travel is supposed to be challenging. However, regardless of your age, destination or chosen activity, your safety should be of paramount importance. BS8848 sets standards to minimize the risks of adventure travel. Click here for more information.
Related to sound Health and Safety is appropriate and adequate Insurance and Liability cover. African Insight Academy has trusted Southern Africa Tourism Insurance Brokers (SATIB), underwritten by Lloyds Of London, to provide a comprehensive range of insurance, medical rescue and evacuation products. Group organisers are provided with a comprehensive portfolio covering this.